Tuesday 27 September 2011

Moving with Mudras

I have been grasping for anything that I believe can carry me over my 3km barrier. Mudras are what took me to a higher level of meditating, and it was this inkling that made me think they maybe transferable to running. If you don't know what a mudras are do not worry. You have been using them all along without knowing that they were called “mudras”. Every time you put your hands in prayer position, that is a mudra. Ever interlaced your hands together? That too is a mudra. Utilizing acupressure points to tap into your internal energy sources. I like to think of it as antennae to energy. Others will think it is a whole lot of mumbo jumbo. Shame. They are missing out.


I was on retreat, meditating on a rooftop in Morocco. It was the first time I had used this particular mudra (I think it was the heart one) for a length of time and no matter what tricks I used I could not settle comfortably into meditation. This was unusual at this point in my practise. I fidgeted, sighed, changed sitting positions anything to provide a distraction. I went back to the breath and found myself weeping uncontrollably. How embarrassing! I have seen people emotional many times when meditating on retreat and it always peaks my curiosity. What dark imaginables must be lurking in their souls, how they must be tortured by inconceivable memories.... I feel a great surge of compassion. For me, that was not the case. I had no idea why I reacted that way, there was no explanation. They say you have not truly meditated till you have cried and on that rooftop in Marrakesh I bawled like a newborn baby. Such is the subtle power of a mudra.



I have been experimenting with two mudras. I don't even know what this first mudra is called but it's speciality is to reduce all physical weakness. You place the tip of your ring finger on the tip of your thumb, with the other three fingers straight. The pressure should be strong enough to make a “lock” but not hard enough to whiten the finger tip. I begin my run with this one. Before I start feeling like I am running out of steam I will also place the pinky tip on top of the thumb. This mudra is the one of life and it removes any fatigue. The key, I discovered, is to use it before you need it. I'm useless at instructions so if you are really interested just google mudra or I found this site http://www.kundaliniyoga.org/mudras.html I have spent a great many runs concerned that on coming traffic would think I was giving them the finger from their vantage point. Despite this, I feel more at ease running with my hands in this position. The more common running fist position I feel is instictually aggressive and closes an important energy point. Alternatively the flopping fish hands just look comical and I have yet to see a “real runner” not correct this one.


I'm still exploring mudras in running. Since I have used mudras effectively I have managed a 5km run twice. I still walk if I need too but I find the time I need to walk has been halved (one minute walking break down to 20 seconds). I feel the quality of my running has improved, although I have yet to run a whole 5km straight.

I would like to point out that I do not know of anyone else who runs while using mudras. If you have I would love to hear of your experience. Or if you decide to try it let me know how it goes. If this is your first time using mudras then it maybe best to try it out a few times first sitting down with your eyes close to see how it makes you feel before you try it running. You do not want to have a mudra moment mid run. Trust me!

4 comments:

shanksi said...

There's no spiritual reason for it but on most runs I end up doing various things with my hands including clenching/unclenching and doing the "comical" "flopping fish hands" but also touching each finger in turn with my thumbs, similar to the mudras you mention but probably flitting between different ones much more quickly. For me it's mainly a distraction technique and a way of just giving my hands something to do.

Enjoy your running.

Julia said...

Hi Vikki! Apologies for the delayed response but your comment gave me an idea. What you are doing is a moving mudra I had used before but with each finger you say a mantra at the same time. I'm experimenting with it now. I find it interesting that some people instintually use mudras. Thanks for sharing I really appreciate it....

Julia said...

Hi Vikki! Apologies for the delayed response but your comment gave me an idea. What you are doing is a moving mudra I had used before but with each finger you say a mantra at the same time. I'm experimenting with it now. I find it interesting that some people instintually use mudras. Thanks for sharing I really appreciate it....

Helen said...

I instincitvely place my 1st & 2nd fingers on my thumb with really light pressure it helps me to relax and not tense shoulders/neck. Interesting to read about mudras, I'm going to look them up