Friday 23 December 2011

The Merry Christmas Run: Spreading goodwill and cheer on the run.

I purposefully avoid looking any “real runners” in the eye, so scared I am of being exposed as a fraud. Running in the Canadian countryside, this is rarely a problem as mostly it is wildlife I encounter. But now I am in urban Australia and surprisingly scornful stares have been relatively few. Actually runners generally are scarce. This is as a surprise. Where are they all? Surely not using the weather as an excuse. It takes me awhile to find some runners. Originally I was pounding the streets of suburbia, but once I had some wheels and could venture further afield I found some. On the beach, the esplanade that runs alongside the Swan River and in the ample Kings Park bushland. It makes sense with such scenery at your doorsteps you feel obliged to make the most of it. However the running scene is slightly disappointing, compared to the jubilation of down town Halifax in Nova Scotia. Cycling appears to be more popular than running here in Perth, Australia.

By far my favourite meditation is Metta Bhvana and I have been eager to incorporate this into my run, for sometime. If there is a particular friend who I wish I could be there for, and am unable, I try to generate as much love and positive energy as I can muster and visually direct this towards their heart. A form of prayer, but it is more about giving than asking. The most important part is to direct some of this love into loving yourself first. Everything I can give the world is better if I begin from a place of strength and love.

I came across another runner who had a similar idea and called it the “Mother Teresa” run. I have “tweaked” it to suit what I am comfortable with. It is very simple. Every time I approach someone along my running path, I try to make eye contact with them. Acknowledge them in some way; a nod of my head, a wave a “hello”. I then say (in my head!) “May you be well. May you be happy. May you be free to grow old and wise.” I use a lot of visualisation but I really love the theory behind this run but the reality is somewhat different. I cannot overcome shyness in looking the few runners I encounter in the eye. Luckily they seem to be too engrossed in talking into their mobile phones to notice. I start feeling like my children, who when food shopping yell “Merry Christmas” to strangers shopping only to get ignored. This, however, does not impede on their enthusiasm and I am inspired by their determination. Funnily, it is the dogs that seem to respond to my good intentions more than the runners. I like to think they are more sensitive but a multitude of reasons can be read into their response.

Even if there are no plans to run during the festivities, the Merry Christmas Run is not limited to the holiday season. When I finish this type of run I always feel really wonderful. Which has always been the irony behind giving anything that it is the giver that receives the most. I include, you in this too because in your busy life you have taken the time to read my ramblings and often share with me your thoughts on running and everything else between the starting and finishing line. I feel truly blessed and appreciate all your support, kindness, advice and feedback. My hope is that love, peace, faith and joy is in in all your hearts this Christmas. And to be found in all our runs in the New Year.


3 comments:

JannaAden said...

Julia, you are inspiring! I love this entry and I think we can all take something from it and translate it into our everyday lives. Thankyou!

Anonymous said...

OHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Pffftttt.

ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ etc.

Wilma said...

I agree Janna, truly inspiring. I know that you will miss your loved ones in Canada dearly this Christmas but may love, peace, faith and joy still fill your Christmas this year too Julia. xoxox