Thursday 16 February 2012

Why running, reading and writing this blog is important.

Maybe I should have thought this through better, or shared it, before I begun but sometimes it is more interesting to let an intention to develop and bloom on it's own...... Toni Morrison, the author of Beloved said, “If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.” It is from this that the Running with Spirit blog was conceived. I have yet to find a non runner who is chronicling consistenly their running journey from a spiritual perspective and utilizing a vast range of techniques. Occasionally I come across the odd article, post or one off book, but it is never comprehensive enough for me and I am ravenous for more. If anyone does come across one please share and let us know.

I am starting to suspect this lack of information is self awareness. Runners are everywhere and they know they are running, whipping out their pacing, distances and personal best times at any given opportunity. But what they do not know is that their running practise is profound and crosses boundaries into something higher and more purposeful. Actually, some of them are aware but fearful to use spiritual language. A perfect example is of the cult running best seller book, “Born to Run” by Christopher MacDougall's quote:

"I knew aerobic exercise was a powerful antidepressant, but I hadn't realized it could be so profoundly mood stabilizing and—I hate to use the word—meditative"

At least he was aware that running produces a meditative state naturally, but why is that wrong? Why does that have to be something to be fearful of? Isn't this something exciting? Something to explore? I strongly encourage you to read his book. It is so well written, inspiring and descriptive. I would even go as far to say the best book I have read in the past five years, even if I was not interested in running. But he would not need to be as descriptive if he just used the words mindfulness, meditation, spirit, silence, resolution, prayer,  mantras.....

This is why it was so hard for me to find a blog like this to read and why I felt compelled to write it. And why I am so thankful and blessed for your interest and support. We are a small, loyal, passionate and brave bunch scattered all over the world. We are that colourful, cosy, glowing intersection of a Venn diagram. The heart of the spirit and the beat of the run.

Ujjayi Breathing Update.
Quick update for anyone who is also trialling using ujjayi breathing techniques when running. I've noticed that I have been getting more stitches since I started focusing on this breath and be interesting to know if anyone else has similar experiences. I do not know if it is a combination of the bandhas at the same time. Ujjayi breathing generates heat so maybe best to initiate this before I begin the run before my sankalpa, or my running resolve. I now only use ujjayi breathing if I feel I am losing my focus and it is proving effective.

No comments: