Monday 10 September 2012

Running with Spirit: Recommended Reading List


Last year, one of our most dedicated and enthusiastic readers, requested for some book suggestions to help in their running journey. I took this request seriously. Too seriously. So seriously that it has taken me just under a year to compile and review a small selection of books.

Part of the challenge lies in the fact is that there are very few books written on using spiritual techniques when running. Usually the author is an expert on or the other; a monk, a priest or a professional athlete. That is one of the reasons why I started this blog as it is evident I am not an expert in spirituality or running. The momentum is picking up and I do hear of publications more frequently than when I began this blog. If I only listed books that were about running spiritually it would be a very short list indeed. But I have another reason, based on my own personal experience, at why I am taking a broad and more encompassing approach.
When I am inspired; I run. When my relationships with those around me are supportive and healthy; I run. When my children are behaving and functional; I run. When my body is properly nourished; I run. When I meditate; I run. When my soul is cared for; I run. I have included all of the books that enable me to achieve these things so I can run with spirit.
I have only suggested books that I have read myself and found immensely useful. I asked many friends whose opinion I value for suggestions. Books also have this knack of finding a reader at the right time. Sometimes I have picked up a book, read it thinking it was complete rubbish, only to revisit it at a later date and found it wonderful. Other times I have been interested in an author and disappointed. Two authors who come to mind are Eckhart Tolle and Deepak Chopra. Yet I know many readers have found their writing wonderful. Maybe one day I will too.
This list is not indicative of the books I have read or what is available. I have purposefully left out any books on meditation because I know that the only way to meditate is to do it. Better off finding a teacher or a course. My hope is that this post will be revised often, growing naturally, as I read more books and hopefully readers share their own book suggestions.

Running
  • Running Within  – Jerry Lynch
  • Zen and the Art of Running – Larry Shapiro, PhD
  • Born to Run - Christopher MacDougall
  • Running with the Mind of Meditation - Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche
  • Eat and Run Scott Jurek
  • Running the Spiritual Path - Roger D. Joslin
Mindfulness
  • Beginning Mindfulness: Learning the way of Awareness – Andrew Weiss

Spirituality
  • The Tibetan Book of the Living and Dying - Sogyal Rinpoche
  • Awakening the Buddha Within - Lama Surya Das
  • Many Lives, Many Masters - Dr Brian Weiss
  • Autobiography of a Yogi - Paramahansa Yogananda
  • Yoga Nidra - Swami Satyananda Saraswati

Health
  • Slim for Life - Jason Vale (Don't let the wanky title put you off.)
Inspiration
  • The Alchemist - Paulo Cohello
  • Way of the Peaceful Warrior - Dan Millman
Relationships
  • 5 Languages of Love - Gary Chapman

Depression
  • The Red Tree – Shaun Tan

Parenting
  • Boundaries with Kids: How healthy choices grow healthy children – Dr Henry Cloud.
  • Buddhism for Mothers with young children: How to become a mindful parent – Sarah Napthal


May you find the words you need, when you need them and use them wisely.

 
 

No comments: