Tuesday 11 October 2011

Reflections on Running 5kms

I stepped on my scales for the first time since I started running two months ago. I was staggered at my weight loss, it seems inconceivable that having run consistently every second day that I have lost....wait for it....I really hope you are sitting down....100 grams. Seriously. I could cut off all my hair and get greater results. Surely people who can run 5kms weigh less than 100 pounds?


Running has defiantly changed my life. For the worse. Showers, for me, are a luxury activity not a necessity. Being someone who resembles a sweaty beetroot when I run, means I have to shower much more often than previously. Plus I need to wash my hair more often than my ten day maximum. I have more laundry as I am now having to wear a second set of clothes that scream “olfactory” from my laundry basket if left for longer than a day. My skin has broken out like a forlorn teenager and for all my moaning I am even starting to sound like one. In summary running has changed me into a 100 gram thinner, smellier, acne-ridden beetroot. I apologise profusely but I am the worst possible advocate for running.

There are signs of hope though and I cling on to these like velcro. The deer no longer mock me with their rudeness and I look forward to seeing the wildlife. I prefer the days when I do run rather than when I do not. Positive signs of addiction that 5km is no longer enough, running has made me greedy and I want more. And I even managed to convince my husband that it was not a tumour on my left buttock but the promised beginnings of muscle. That and the bag of onions. I have got a lot of mileage out of that bag of onions which deserves further exploration on another day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beetroot!!!!! bahahahahahaha - cousin David

Anonymous said...

oh! and I just purchased brand new running shoes. My excuses are dwindling (Im going to take it as a sign from the universe that the "word verification code" that I had to retype in order to posst this comment is "davelys" !!!!!!!)

Julia said...

Does this mean I am good enough to be your running partner now David? Because I had to import one from LA as no-one here wants to "run" with me. But she leaves on Saturday.

Anonymous said...

I am wondering if I'm good enough to run with you. My bad foot is now my god-awful foot and my good foot is my bad foot. Nothing shedding these extra 60 lb won't fix!