Monday 2 January 2012

Marcothon: A reflection on running 5km everyday in December 2011.

The most important lesson I learned completing the Marcothon is to never, ever do it again. Sometimes while on a run I imagine Marco, the created of the Marcothon.* Maybe it's because I am currently in Australia but when I summon Marco, he is always in the pub, a cold pint in his hand. His shirt is covered in splotches of sweat and he leans forward over a slight beer gut (that his wife has convinced him is cuddly) to say,
“Oi mate....” here he pauses, almost philosophically, as he watches some beer slop onto the toes of his thongs. “Maaaaate, I was just thinkin'...we should just bloody well run everyday in December” Taking a big swig of beer he waits to gauge everyone’s reaction, which is a bit lacklustre.

“What? Like even Christmas Day,” some pub goer pipes up.

“Bloody oath Christmas Day!” Marco would reply, slamming down his empty pint, “I said everyday in December didn't I!”

“Struth Marco that's a bit hardcore!” And the more they drink, the more details get hashed out. It's a bit like when I used to work in London and some male manager would implement an idea that was doomed to be an epic failure and my colleague would turn to me, rolling her eyes sighing, “Designed by a man.”

Then an idiot like me thinks it is a good idea. And the part that I am very apologetic about is that I told other people about it, without first trialling it myself. I am sorry. I partially blame all the running endorphins. Maybe the problem isn't actually the Marcothon but rather I wasn't a very good runner to begin with. In November I was really happy if I managed to run 5km once a week and now in December I was expecting myself to run that everyday. Often in the heat of an Australian summer which my body was not acclimatised for having lived in Scotland for five years. Mid month the inevitable happens and I have crippling shin splints and my ankles start rolling unexpectedly. I make an executive decision to take two days off. Those two days off not running seriously felt like two months.

Failing is a slippery slope. At this point it would have been easy to call it quits but it did not cross my mind, but it did take the pressure off knowing I can just pick up where I left off. I know I did not run 5 km everyday. Somedays I ran more, most days I ran less. But despite those two days I ran everyday. Even Christmas Day which was my favourite run by far. Being a Marcothon Finisher I believe has actually made me a worse runner, but it did give me a stronger moral fibre. Like I said the most important lesson I learned completing the Marcothon is to never, ever do it again. Until next December. Who knows what runner I will be by then?

*I would like to clarify I have never met Marco. I assume he lives in Scotland and is Scottish therefore would have an amazingly tolerant sense of humour.

1 comment:

Helen said...

LOL!!!

I too completed the Marcothon and am absolutely delighted with the achievement - I have run for almost 6 years now but never for 31 consecutive days, and yes there were days when it hurt like hell but I did it and the sense of community built amongst fellow nutters is great. Looking forward to new runs, new friends and a Happy Healthy 2012!
Good Luck with your running :-)

ps Marco is tall dark and slim :-)